This layer is a georeferenced raster image of the historic paper map entitled: Map of Piscataquis County Maine, from surveys under the direction of H. F. Walling; field notes under the direction of L. H. Eaton Esq. civil engineer. It was published by Lee & Marsh in 1858. Scale [ca 1:63,360]. This layer is image 1 of 2 total images, representing the northeast portion of the four sheet source map. The image inside the map neatline is georeferenced to the surface of the earth and fit to the Universal Transverse Mercator projection (UTM Zone 19N, meters, NAD1983). All map collar and inset information is also available as part of the raster image, including any inset maps, profiles, statistical tables, directories, text, illustrations, index maps, legends, or other information associated with the principal map. This map shows features such as roads, railroads, drainage, public buildings, schools, churches, cemeteries, industry locations (e.g. mills, factories, mines, etc.), private buildings with names of property owners, town boundaries, and more. Relief shown by hachures. It includes many cadastral insets of individual county towns and villages. It also includes illustrations, business directories, and tables of statistics and distances.This layer is part of a selection of digitally scanned and georeferenced historic maps of New England from the Harvard Map Collection. These maps typically portray both natural and manmade features. The selection represents a range of regions, originators, ground condition dates, scales, and map purposes.