This layer is a georeferenced raster image of the historic paper map entitled: Map of the town of Newton, Middlesex County, Mass., surveyed by order of the town by H.F. Walling, Sup. of the state map; assistant engineers F.S. Belden, N. Smith, Jr. It was published by Lith of Sarony Co. in 1855. Scale [1:12,900].
The image inside the map neatline is georeferenced to the surface of the earth and fit to the Massachusetts State Plane Coordinate System, Mainland Zone (in Feet) (Fipszone 2001). All map collar and inset information is also available as part of the raster image, including any inset maps, profiles, statistical tables, directories, text, illustrations, index maps, legends, or other information associated with the principal map.
This map shows features such as roads, railroads and stations, drainage, public buildings, schools, industry locations (e.g. mills, factories, etc.), selected private buildings with names of property owners, town boundaries, cemeteries, and more. Relief shown by hachures. Includes insets: West Newton -- Newton Corner.
This layer is part of a selection of digitally scanned and georeferenced historic maps from the Harvard Map Collection. These maps typically portray both natural and manmade features. The selection represents a range of originators, ground condition dates, scales, and map purposes.