This layer is a georeferenced raster image of the historic paper map entitled: Map of Windham County, Connecticut, from actual survey by E.P. Gerrish, W.C. Eaton D.S. H.C. Osborn, 1855; lith by W.H. Rease. It was published by E.M. Woodford in 1856. Scale [ca. 1:42,240]. This layer is image 3 of 4 total images, representing the southwest portion of the four sheet source map.
The image inside the map neatline is georeferenced to the surface of the earth and fit to the Connecticut State Plane coordinate system (NAD 1983 in Feet) (Fipszone 0600). All map collar and inset information is also available as part of the raster image, including any inset maps, profiles, statistical tables, directories, text, illustrations, index maps, legends, or other information associated with the principal map.
This map shows features such as roads, railroads, drainage, public buildings, schools, churches, cemeteries, industry locations (e.g. mills, factories, mines, etc.), private buildings with names of property owners, town boundaries, and more. Relief shown by hachures. It includes many cadastral insets of individual county towns and villages. It also includes illustrations, business directories, and tables of statistics and distances.
This layer is part of a selection of digitally scanned and georeferenced historic maps of New England from the Harvard Map Collection. These maps typically portray both natural and manmade features. The selection represents a range of regions, originators, ground condition dates, scales, and map purposes.