This layer is a georeferenced raster image of the historic paper map entitled: Ordnance survey of Jerusalem, by captain Charles W. Wilson R. F. under the direction of Colonel Sir Henry James, R.E., F.R.S., c. director of the Ordnance Survey, 1864-5. It was published by Ordnance Survey Office in 1876. Rev. [of 1864-5 ed.]. Revised 1876. Scale 1:2,500. Covers primarily the Old City.
The image inside the map neatline is georeferenced to the surface of the earth and fit to the Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM Zone 36S, meters, WGS 1984) projected coordinate system. All map collar and inset information is also available as part of the raster image, including any inset maps, profiles, statistical tables, directories, text, illustrations, index maps, legends, or other information associated with the principal map.
This map shows features such as roads, drainage, built-up areas and selected buildings (churches, synagogues, convents, schools), fortification, gates, religious sites, cemeteries, watch houses, cisterns, tombs, pools, aqueducts, and more. Relief shown by hachures, contours and spot heights. Includes also a list of references.
This layer is part of a selection of digitally scanned and georeferenced historic maps from the Harvard Map Collection. These maps typically portray both natural and manmade features. The selection represents a range of originators, ground condition dates, scales, and map purposes.