The Department of Fisheries, Wildlife and Environmental Law Enforcement (DFWELE) GIS Program working in conjunction with biologists from the MA Division of Marine Fisheries and the MA Division of Fisheries and Wildlife compiled and automated a point coverage of anadromous fish data. The data include all known coastal anadromous fish runs spawning habitat and runs for three major inland rivers - the Nashua, the Concord and the Shawsheen. Note, this data layer should not be considered definitive in determining the presence or absence of fish runs, spawning habitat, barriers or fishways. It is the DFWELE GIS Program’s best current representation of these features. Neither should this layer or its derived maps be used for making site specific regulatory decisions. Rather, its appropriate use is for education and regional planning. This is a transition coverage. When MASSGIS completes its "hydro centerline" project, producing a complete hydro network for the Commonwealth, inherently linear features such as fish runs and many of the spawning habitat features will be represented as such. The layer is stored in ArcSDE as ANADFISH_PT. The single coverage ANADFISH is stored in the NE library.
Also in ArcSDE are five "views", to facilitate display and query and based on joins to the related tables listed below, as follows:
- ANADFISH_PT_DAMPRESENCE - presence of a dam
- ANADFISH_PT_FISHWAYEFFECT - based on EFFECTFISH item in ANADFISH_PT_BAR table
- ANADFISH_PT_FISHWAYTYPE - based on FISHWAY item in ANADFISH_PT_BAR table
- ANADFISH_PT_MANBARRIERTYPE - based on TYPEOTHERB item in ANADFISH_PT_BAR table
- ANADFISH_PT_NATBARRIERTYPE - based on TYPENATBAR item in ANADFISH_PT_BAR table