Zayante Soils: Santa Cruz County, California, 2015
- Garcia, Paul and Price, Matt
- This polygon shapefile depicts Zayante Soil Areas in the County of Santa Cruz, California. This layer was used to identify potential Sandhills Habitat Areas prior to the Sandhills Conservation and Management Plan. Zayante soils are derived from sediment deposited over 15 million years ago when the region was under a vast sea. As evidence of their origins, the inland Sand Hills contain a variety of marine fossils, including deep beds of sand dollars. Due to their coarse texture, Zayante soils have low water and nutrient availability. As a result, they support two endemic communities which are very different from the moisture-loving coast redwood and mixed evergreen forests that dominate the region. This layer is part of a collection of GIS data created for Santa Cruz County, California. The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Unit falls under the purview of the County of Santa Cruz Information Services Department. The GIS Unit serves all County departments and external customers and provides data on land, features and people of Santa Cruz County. Santa Cruz County encompasses 4 cities and approximately 265,000 people. This coverage can be used for basic applications such as viewing, querying and map output production, or to provide a basemap to support graphical overlays and analyses of geospatial data. County of Santa Cruz Information Services Department. (2015). Zayante Soils: Santa Cruz County, California, 2015. Santa Cruz County, California. Available at http://purl.stanford.edu/bf413wv4722. County of Santa Cruz Planning Department General Plan (adopted May 24, 1994): http://www.sccoplanning.com/PlanningHome/SustainabilityPlanning/GeneralPlan.aspx These data were compiled from many different sources; therefore, the accuracy of the individual layers varies significantly, and some layers do not align exactly with others. In the urban areas, data are generally accurate within five to ten feet of their true geographic coordinates, but in the rural areas, data may be accurate to only within three hundred feet. With these limitations, the County of Santa Cruz disclaims any responsibility for the accuracy or correctness of this data. This disclaimer is exclusive and in lieu of any warranties, fitness for particular purpose, and/or any other type of warranty, whether expressed or implied. This layer is presented in the WGS84 coordinate system for web display purposes. Downloadable data are provided in native coordinate system or projection.
- County of Santa Cruz Information Services Department
- Santa Cruz County, California GIS Maps & Data
- Santa Cruz County (Calif.)
- Soils, Biotic communities, Habitat conservation, Soil mapping, Boundaries, Environment, and Geoscientific Information
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work is in the Public Domain, meaning that it is not subject to copyright.
|Click on map to inspect values