Vernal Pools: South Coast Ranges, California, 1998
- Holland, Ph.D., Robert F.
- This polygon shapefile depicts vernal pools in Monterey, Santa Barbara, San Benito, San Luis Obispo and Ventura counties that were mapped from one-meter resolution digital orthophoto quadrangles (DOQQs) from the United States Geological Survey, mostly based on 1994 air photos. Mapping from DOQQs subsequently was checked against 10-meter resolution SPOT cover taken during the summer of 2000.This coverage presents findings from comprehensive mapping of vernal pool habitats in Monterey, Santa Barbara, San Benito, San Luis Obispo and Ventura counties. In 1995, Dr. Robert F. Holland identified the complexes on aerial photos (the most recent available for each county) and traced the polygons onto USGS 7.5' quads from which they were digitized. Vernal pool complexes were then given a density rating. The coverage was refined in June of 1998, with SPOT Imagery and recent U2 (low-flying aircraft) photography. The layer does not contain delineations of individual vernal pools and was not intended for use in wetland delineations. This coverage allows for display and analysis of existing vernal pool complexes in these California counties.
- California. Department of Fish and Game. Marine Resources Region
- Monterey County (Calif.), Santa Barbara County (Calif.), San Benito County (Calif.), San Luis Obispo County (Calif.), and Ventura County (Calif.)
- Vernal pools, Wetlands, Vernal pool ecology, Vernal pool plants, Biology and Ecology, and Environment
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work is in the Public Domain, meaning that it is not subject to copyright.
|Click on map to inspect values|