Artisanal Fishing, 2007-2008
- National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis
- This raster dataset is a global model of artisanal fishing based on small scale fisheries data and population proximity to coastal areas. See the Lineage section for complete information regarding data sources and processes. This approach to estimating the impact of artisanal fishing cannot distinguish between methods that do and do not modify habitat. Some developing nations have a high rate of habitat-modifying artisanal fishing and our estimate of the impact of this activity in those locations will be underestimated. Unfortunately, the distribution of habitat-modifying fishing methods is currently unknown in a globally-comparable way. Artisanal fishing is notoriously difficult to estimate our approach uses coarse FAO estimates, models missing national data, and then models the small-scale distribution of national data. This dataset is part of the Global Map of Human Impacts to Marine Ecosystems, a collection of data and analyses related to anthropogenic drivers of change in marine ecosystems.The goal of this research is to estimate and visualize the global impact that humans are having on the oceans' ecosystems.
- Earth and Earth (Planet)
- Small-scale fisheries, Environmental impact analysis, Oceans, Environment, and Imagery and Base Maps
- 2007 and 2008
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work is in the Public Domain, meaning that it is not subject to copyright.
|Click on map to inspect values|