Transgressive Contours: Bolinas to Pescadero, California, 2010
- Chin, John L., Johnson, Samuel Y., Ross, Stephanie L., Sliter, Ray W., and Golden, Nadine E.
- This line shapefile contains transgressive contours at 5 and 10 meter intervals for the areas within the 3-nautical mile limit between Bolinas and Pescadero in California. As part of the USGS's California State Waters Mapping Project, a 50-m grid of depth to the transgressive surface of the last glacial maximum was generated for the 3-mile offshore region. The resulting grid covers an area of approximately 550 sq km. The depth to the transgressive surface of the Last Glacial Maximum ranges between 4 and 78 meters. This layer is part of USGS Data Series 781. These contours are published in Scientific Investigations Map 3306, "California State Waters Map Series--Offshore San Gregorio, California (sheet 9).In 2007, the California Ocean Protection Council initiated the California Seafloor Mapping Program (CSMP) to create a comprehensive seafloor map of high-resolution bathymetry, marine benthic habitats and geology within the 3-nautical-mile limit of California's State Waters. CSMP has divided coastal California into 110 map blocks, each to be published individually as United States Geological Survey Open-File Reports (OFRs) or Scientific Investigations Maps (SIMs) at a scale of 1:24,000. Maps display seafloor morphology and character, identify potential marine benthic habitats and illustrate both the seafloor geology and shallow (to about 100 m) subsurface geology. Data layers for bathymetry, bathymetric contours, acoustic backscatter, seafloor character, potential benthic habitat and offshore geology were created for each map block, as well as regional-scale data layers for sediment thickness, depth to transition, transgressive contours, isopachs, predicted distributions of benthic macro-invertebrates and visual observations of benthic habitat from video cruises over the entire state. These data are intended for science researchers, students, policy makers, and the general public. This information is not intended for navigational purposes.The data can be used with geographic information systems (GIS) software to display geologic and oceanographic information.
- Geological Survey (U.S.)
- California, San Mateo County (Calif.), Marin County (Calif.), and Pacific Ocean
- Ocean bottom, Contours (Cartography), Geoscientific Information, Oceans, and Elevation
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work is in the Public Domain, meaning that it is not subject to copyright.
|Click on map to inspect values|