Suggested Site Development, Redevelopment Project Number One, Western Addition Redevelopment Area (Raster Image)
- San Francisco Redevelopment Agency (San Francisco, Calif.) and San Francisco (Calif.). Department of City Planning
- This layer is a georeferenced image of a suggested site development plan in the Western Addition of San Francisco. This plan appears in "Replanning the Geary Area in the Western Addition" published in March 1952 by the San Francisco Department of City Planning. A scanned version of this map was georeferenced as part of the Imagined San Francisco project. This project traces the history of urban planning in San Francisco, placing special emphasis on unrealized schemes. Rather than using visual material simply to illustrate outcomes, Imagined San Francisco uses historical plans, maps, architectural renderings, and photographs to show what might have been. By enabling users to layer a series of urban plans, the project presents the city not only as a sequence of material changes, but also as a contingent process and a battleground for political power. Savvy institutional actors--like banks, developers, and many public officials--understood that in some cases to clearly articulate their interests would be to invite challenges. That means that textual sources like newspapers and municipal reports are limited in what they can tell researchers about the shape of political power. Urban plans, however, often speak volumes about interests and dynamics upon which textual sources remain silent. Mortgage lenders, for example, apparently thought it unwise to state that they wished to see a poor neighborhood cleared, to be replaced with a freeway onramp. Yet visual analysis of planning proposals makes that interest plain. So in the process of showing how the city might have looked, Imagined San Francisco also shows how political power actually was negotiated and exercised. San Francisco Department of City Planning and San Francisco Redevelopment Agency (2017). Suggested Site Development, Redevelopment Project Number One, Western Addition Redevelopment Area (Raster Image). Stanford University. Center for Spatial and Textual Analysis. Available at: http://purl.stanford.edu/fb764ct5729 This layer is presented in the WGS84 coordinate system for web display purposes. Downloadable data are provided in native coordinate system or projection.
- Stanford University. Center for Spatial and Textual Analysis
- Imagined San Francisco
- San Francisco (Calif.)
- Urban renewal, City planning, and Imagery and Base Maps
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- Attribution 3.0 Unported
|Click on map to inspect values|