Eastern Frontier of the Colony of the Cape of Good Hope (Raster Image)
- Arrowsmith, John, 1790-1873 and Stanford Geospatial Center
- This layer is a georeferenced raster image of an historic regional map of South Africa showing the eastern section of the Cape (Colony) of Good Hope and part of Kafirland - from Algoa Bay to the Great Kei River. This map was compiled by John Arrowsmith from sketches by the survey general of the colony. All map collar and inset information is also available as part of the raster image, including any inset maps, profiles, statistical tables, directories, text, illustrations, or other information associated with the principal map. This map was georeferenced by the Stanford University Geospatial Center using a Transverse Mercator projection. This map is part of a selection of digitally scanned and georeferenced historic maps of Africa from the Oscar I. Norwich Collection at Stanford University.This historic paper map provides an historical perspective of the cultural and physical landscape during this time period. The wide range of information provided on these maps make them useful in the study of historic geography. As this map has been georeferenced, it also can be used as a background layer in conjunction with other GIS data.
- Stanford Digital Repository
- Cape of Good Hope (Colony)
- Historical geography, Landforms, Bodies of water, Maps, and Imagery and Base Maps
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This work is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights.
- Public Domain Mark 1.0
|Click on map to inspect values|