Bathymetry Hillshade: Offshore of Bodega Head, California, 2010
- Kvitek, Rikk G., Dartnell, Peter, Pacific Coastal and Marine Science Center, and Golden, Nadine E.
- This layer is a georeferenced raster image containing bathymetric shaded-relief (hillshade) data for the offshore area of Bodega Head in California. These data were generated from bathymetry data collected by California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB), and by Fugro Pelagos. Mapping was completed between 2007 and 2010, using a combination of 200-kHz and 400-kHz Reson 7125, and 244-kHz Reson 8101 multibeam echosounders, as well as 468-kHz SEA SWATHPlus interferometric system. These mapping missions combined to collect bathymetry (sheets 1, 2) from about the 10-m isobath to beyond the 3-nautical-mile limit of California State Waters. This layer is part of USGS Data Series 781.In 2007, the California Ocean Protection Council initiated the California Seafloor Mapping Program (CSMP) to create a comprehensive seafloor map of high-resolution bathymetry, marine benthic habitats and geology within the 3-nautical-mile limit of California's State Waters. CSMP has divided coastal California into 110 map blocks, each to be published individually as United States Geological Survey Open-File Reports (OFRs) or Scientific Investigations Maps (SIMs) at a scale of 1:24,000. Maps display seafloor morphology and character, identify potential marine benthic habitats and illustrate both the seafloor geology and shallow (to about 100 m) subsurface geology. Data layers for bathymetry, bathymetric contours, acoustic backscatter, seafloor character, potential benthic habitat and offshore geology were created for each map block, as well as regional-scale data layers for sediment thickness, depth to transition, transgressive contours, isopachs, predicted distributions of benthic macro-invertebrates and visual observations of benthic habitat from video cruises over the entire state. This coverage can be used to aid in assessments and mitigation of geologic hazards in the coastal region and to provide sufficient geologic information for land-use and land-management decisions both onshore and offshore.These data are intended for science researchers, students, policy makers, and the general public. This information is not intended for navigational purposes.The data can be used with geographic information systems (GIS) software to display geologic and oceanographic information.
- Geological Survey (U.S.)
- California, Marin County (Calif.), Sonoma County (Calif.), Bodega Bay (Calif.), and Pacific Ocean
- Coasts, Bathymetric maps, Multibeam mapping, Submarine topography, Ocean bottom, Seismic reflection method, Imagery and Base Maps, Oceans, Environment, and Geoscientific Information
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work is in the Public Domain, meaning that it is not subject to copyright.
|Click on map to inspect values|