Colton's Africa: Southern sheet (Raster Image)
- Colton, J. H. (Joseph Hutchins), 1800-1893 and Stanford Geospatial Center
- This layer is a georeferenced raster image of an historic regional map of Southern Africa originally created by J.F. Colton in 1855. All map collar and inset information is also available as part of the raster image, including any inset maps, profiles, statistical tables, directories, text, illustrations, or other information associated with the principal map. This map was georeferenced by the Stanford University Geospatial Center using a Sinusoidal projection. This map is part of a selection of digitally scanned and georeferenced historic maps of Africa from the Oscar I. Norwich Collection at Stanford University.This historic paper map provides an historical perspective of the cultural and physical landscape during this time period. The wide range of information provided on these maps make them useful in the study of historic geography. As this map has been georeferenced, it also can be used as a background layer in conjunction with other GIS data.
- Stanford Digital Repository
- Africa, Southern
- Historical geography, Landforms, Bodies of water, Maps, and Imagery and Base Maps
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- Copyright resides with the originator.
- Attribution 3.0 Unported
|Click on map to inspect values|