Australia from surveys made by order of the British Government combined with those of D'entrecasteaux, Baudin, Freycinet &c.&c. By John Arrowsmith 1842. (with) inset map of the Eastern Hemisphere. London, Pubd. 1st May 1842, by John Arrowsmith, 10 Soho Square (Raster Image)
- Rumsey, David, 1944- and Arrowsmith, John, 1790-1873
- This layer is a georeferenced image of a map of Australia created in 1842. Counties of Western Australia are numbered with a key included. Extensive notes on recent discoveries are included. The original map appears in "The London Atlas of Universal Geography, Exhibiting the Physical & Political Divisions of the Various Countries of the World, Constructed from Original Materials. Is most respectfully dedicated to his venerable Friend John Middleton Esqr. As a testimony of Gratitude and Esteem, By his much Obliged & Humble Servant, John Arrowsmith, F.R.G.S & R.A.S. 40 Soho Square, London. London, Pubd. by J. Arrowsmith, 10 Soho Square 1842." The historic map layers in the Google Earth Rumsey Map Collection have been selected by David Rumsey from his large collection of historical maps, as well as some from other collections with which he collaborates. All the maps contain rich information about the past and represent a sampling of time periods, scales, and cartographic art, resulting in visual history stories that only old maps can tell. Each map has been georeferenced by Rumsey, thus creating unique digital map images that allow the old maps to appear in their correct places on the modern globe. Some of the maps fit perfectly in their modern spaces, while othersgenerally earlier period mapsreveal interesting geographical misconceptions of their time. Cultural features on the maps can be compared to the modern satellite views using the slider bars to adjust transparency. The result is an exploration of time as well as space, a marriage of historic cartographic masterpieces with innovative contemporary software tools.
- Cartography Associates
- Western Australia and Australia
- Historical geography, Administrative and political divisions, and Imagery and Base Maps
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- Image from the David Rumsey Map Collection courtesy Stanford University Libraries. To obtain permission to publish or reproduce commercially, please contact the David Rumsey Map Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Property rights reside with the repository, Copyright (c) Stanford University. Images may be reproduced or transmitted, but not for commercial use. For commercial use or commercial republication, contact email@example.com This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. By downloading any images from this site, you agree to the terms of that license.
- Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike 3.0 Unported
|Click on map to inspect values|