Aids to Navigation, Northeast United States, 2012
- I.M. Systems Group
- This point shapefile represents marine aids to navigation in the Northeastern United States. The Coast Guard maintains systems of marine aids to navigation consisting of visual, audible, and electronic signals which are designed to assist the prudent mariner in the process of navigation. The aids to navigation system is not intended to identify every shoal or obstruction to navigation which exists in the navigable waters of the United States, but rather provides for reasonable marking of marine features as resources permit. The primary objective of the aids to navigation system is to mark navigable channels and waterways, obstructions adjacent to these waterways, and obstructions in areas of general navigation which may not be anticipated. Other waters, even if navigable, are generally not marked. The term aid to navigation means any device external to a vessel or aircraft intended to assist a navigator to determine position or safe course, or to warn of dangers or obstructions to navigation. To support coastal and ocean planning and other activities pursuant to the Coastal Zone Management Act, Energy Policy Act, Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Rivers and Harbors Act and the Submerged Lands Act. I.M. Systems Group. (2012). Aids to Navigation, Northeast United States, 2012. NOAA Coastal Services Center. Available at: http://purl.stanford.edu/jc155sp1833. This layer is presented in the WGS84 coordinate system for web display purposes. Downloadable data are provided in native coordinate system or projection.
- Coastal Services Center (U.S.)
- Northeast Ocean Data : Maps and data for ocean planning in the northeastern United States
- Atlantic Ocean, Block Island Sound (R.I.), Rhode Island Sound (Mass. and R.I.), Rhode Island, Blue Hill Bay (Me.), Boston Harbor (Mass.), Buzzards Bay (Mass. : Bay), Maine, Cape Cod Bay (Mass.), Casco Bay (Me.), Cobscook Bay (Me.), Connecticut, Frenchman Bay (Me.), Maine, Gulf of, Ipswich Bay (Mass.), Long Island Sound (N.Y. and Conn.), Saco Bay (Me.), Vineyard Sound (Mass.), Machias Bay (Me.), Massachusetts Bay (Mass.), Massachusetts, Nantucket Sound (Mass.), Narragansett Bay (R.I.), New Hampshire, New York (State), and Penobscot Bay (Me.)
- Aids to navigation, Oceans, and Transportation
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work is in the Public Domain, meaning that it is not subject to copyright.
|Click on map to inspect values|