Kelp Canopy: California, 2008
- Ocean Imaging, Corp. and California. Department of Fish and Game. Marine Resources Region
- This polygon shapefile was collected and created with a different camera system and software than the 2002-2007 surveys. This difference in camera system and processing software allows the collection of both surface and subsurface kelp with separate classification schemes. The shapefile was created from Digital Multi-Spectral Camera image files and was collected and processed by Ocean Imaging under contract by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW). The dataset represents the 2008 CDFW Survey. The Northern and Central California Surveys were flown October 06-08, 2008. The Southern California including the Channel Islands imagery was acquired October 20-23, 2008. The photographs were taken from an altitude of 12,500 feet, utilizing CDFW's Partenavia aircraft. Surveys were planned to coincide with periods of minimal change between high and low tides to avoid strong tidal induced currents. This dataset is complete, although the user should note omissions. The data are projected in California Teale Albers using North American Datum 1983. File reindexed to match CDFW administrative kelp bed boundaries modified by changes to California Code of Regulations, Title 14, Section 165, effective April 1, 2014.These data are used to assess the extent of kelp canopy resources along the California coast.
- California. Department of Fish and Game. Marine Resources Region
- California and Pacific Ocean
- Coasts, Marine habitats, Kelps, Algae, Remote sensing, Aerial surveys, Imagery and Base Maps, Environment, Biology and Ecology, and Oceans
- 2008 and 2008
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work is in the Public Domain, meaning that it is not subject to copyright.
|Click on map to inspect values|