United States Geographic Names Information System Populated Places, 1974-2014
- Environmental Systems Research Institute (Redlands, Calif.) and Geological Survey (U.S.)
- This point shapefile contains the proper names and locations of populated place areas such as census designated places, consolidated cities, and incorporated places within United States identified by the U.S. Census Bureau. Attribute information includes the name, class, population classification, population density, number of housing units and size of the areas. The U.S. Geological Survey developed the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) for the U.S. Board on Geographic Names, a Federal inter-agency body chartered by public law to maintain uniform feature name usage throughout the Government and to promulgate standard names to the public. This layer is part of the 2014 ESRI Data and Maps collection for ArcGIS 10.2.Geographic Names Information System, of which U.S. Geographic Names Information System Populated Places is a part, is the official repository of domestic geographic names data; the official vehicle for geographic names use by all departments of the Federal Government; and the source for applying geographic names to Federal electronic and printed products of all types in the United States. The feature locative information has been used in emergency preparedness, marketing, site-selection and analysis, genealogical and historical research, and transportation routing applications.
- Environmental Systems Research Institute (Redlands, Calif.)
- United States
- Cities and towns, Boroughs, and Location
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work is in the Public Domain, meaning that it is not subject to copyright.
|Click on map to inspect values|