Lake, Reserviors and Ponds (Points): California, 2012
- California. Fisheries Programs Branch, Geological Survey (U.S.), and California. Biogeographic Data Branch
- This point shapefile is an update of California lake, reservoir, and pond layers as assembled by the California Department of Fish and Game (DFG). It includes many small and unnamed waterbodies in the High Sierra and California Cascades, some of which are not depicted on United States Geological Survey 7.5 arc-minute/1:24,000-scale topographic maps. Most data were captured at 1:24,000-scale or better. Waterbodies are represented as centroid points. The dataset was created for two purposes: First, to attempt to correct many inaccuracies in current GIS datasets for California waterbodies, especially regarding NAMES. Second, to provide a unique numeric ID system for the California Department of Fish and Wildlife of all digitized waterbodies in California in order to assist with fisheries and biological programs management and public fishing programs, including biological surveys, fish planting, and public fishing guides. This coverage provides an accompanying center point GIS layer for the lakes layer that was assembled by the California Department of Fish and Game. This point layer is useful for representing lake locations at small (zoomed-out) scales, labeling, etc.
- California. Department of Fish and Game. Marine Resources Region
- Bodies of water, Fresh water, Lakes, Reservoirs, Ponds, Hydrography, Inland Waters, and Location
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work is in the Public Domain, meaning that it is not subject to copyright.
|Click on map to inspect values|