Map of Africa Showing its most Recent Discoveries (Raster Image)
- Mitchell, S. Augustus (Samuel Augustus), 1792-1868, Stanford Geospatial Center, and Williams, W. (Wellington)
- This layer is a georeferenced raster image of a continental map of Africa from 1881. This map shows the expedition routes of Stanley and Livingstone and contains an inset depicting the Island of St. Helena (place where Napoleon was buried). This map was georeferenced using a Sinusoidal projection. All map collar and inset information is also available as part of the raster image, including any inset maps, profiles, statistical tables, directories, text, illustrations, or other information associated with the principal map.This historic paper map provides an historical perspective of the cultural and physical landscape during this time period. The wide range of information provided on these maps make them useful in the study of historic geography. As this map has been georeferenced, it also can be used as a background layer in conjunction with other GIS data.
- Stanford Digital Repository
- Discoveries in geography, Maps, Historical geography, Landforms, Bodies of water, Livingstone, David, 1813-1873, Imagery and Base Maps, and Imagery and Base Maps
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This work is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights.
- Public Domain Mark 1.0
|Click on map to inspect values|