Shellfish Management Areas, Northeastern United States, 2013
- Maine. Department of Marine Resources
- This polygon shapefile represents shellfish growing and classification areas for states in the northeastern U.S. including Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, and Rhode Island. Each state has their own method of classifying shellfish areas and these were evaluated in order to create a comprehensive classification system throughout the northeast region. The classification scheme used in this regional dataset is adapted from the National Shellfish Sanitation Program (NSSP) Guide for the Control of Molluscan Shellfish. Each feature includes information on the area name, classification type, state, source of the data, layer name from the data source, and the original state classification scheme. Additional fields which contained further information for individual datasets but did not conform to this characterization were not included. The Northeast Ocean Data Portal working group is continuing to work with shellfish coordinators in each state to improve the representation of these management areas and the timeliness of regional datasets. The data user is encouraged to read this and the metadata of each individual states’ source data carefully, as attribute details, and timeliness are not necessarily consistent among datasets used to develop this layer. Details of each state’s data source are described in the data processing section.The purpose of this dataset is to assist in ocean planning activities in the Northeast by representing the shellfish management and classification areas for the northeastern United States. Data represented here are from the most recent editions up to the dataset publication date. Data at this scale is suitable for use in generalized studies and local planning.
- Northeast Ocean Data
- Atlantic Ocean, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York (State), and Rhode Island
- Shellfish culture, Biology and Ecology, Boundaries, and Environment
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work is in the Public Domain, meaning that it is not subject to copyright.
|Click on map to inspect values|