Offshore Tidal Hydrokinetic Projects for United States Waters, June 2013
- United States. Department of Commerce, United States. National Ocean Service, and United States. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Pending or issued preliminary permits* or issued licenses for offshore hydrokinetic projects that produce energy from the flow of water in ocean currents or tides. The status of these projects is administered by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). This dataset excludes any sites considered inland. Listings found for maximum capacity and average annual production are estimates obtained from applications submitted to FERC by the licensee. Actual numbers upon build-out could vary. *Preliminary permits maintain priority of application for a license for up to three years while a potential license applicant explores project feasibility and prepares a license application, but do not authorize construction, operation, or maintenance of a hydropower project. While studies are often carried out while potential applicants hold preliminary permits, the permits do not authorize any activity or site access. Such permissions must be obtained from the appropriate authority. In some cases, potential license applicants can obtain a successive permit if they have pursued the preparation of a license application in good faith and with due diligence. Only a small portion of preliminary permits lead to licenses. To support coastal and ocean planning and other activities pursuant to the Energy Policy Act, Coastal Zone Management Act, Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Rivers and Harbors Act and the Submerged Lands Act. U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Ocean Service, Coastal Services Center. (2013). Offshore Tidal Hydrokinetic Projects for United States Waters, June 2013. NOAA Coastal Services Center. Available at: http://purl.stanford.edu/qv264ny4349. These data are intended for coastal and ocean use planning. Not for navigation. This layer is presented in the WGS84 coordinate system for web display purposes. Downloadable data are provided in native coordinate system or projection.
- Coastal Services Center (U.S.)
- Northeast Ocean Data : Maps and data for ocean planning in the northeastern United States
- Maine, New York (State), and Massachusetts
- Ocean energy resources, Water-power, Tidal power, Oceans, and Utilities and Communication
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work is in the Public Domain, meaning that it is not subject to copyright.
|Click on map to inspect values