High Occupancy Vehicle Lanes, California, 2015
- Vu, Khanh and California. Department of Transportation
- This line shapefile represents the existing, under construction, programmed, and proposed High-Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes on the California state Highway system as of 2015. Also known as carpool or diamond lanes, HOV lanes are a traffic management strategy to promote and encourage ridesharing; thereby alleviating congestion and maximizing the people-carrying capacity of California highways. HOV lanes are usually located on the inside (left) lane and are identified by signs along the freeway and white diamond symbols painted on the pavement. In Northern California, HOV lanes are only operational on Monday thru Friday during posted peak congestion hours, for example: between 6 a.m. - 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. - 7 p.m. All other vehicles may use the lanes during off-peak hours. This is referred to as "part-time" operation. In Southern California, HOV lanes are generally separated from other lanes by a buffer zone. The HOV lanes are in effect 24-hours a day, 7-days a week, referred to as "full-time" operation.The locations of the HOV system are based on postmiles derived from an excel spreadsheet maintained by Caltrans, Division of Traffic Operations, Office of System Management Operations. This layer is part of a collection of GIS data created by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans).This dataset is intended for researchers, students, and policy makers for reference and mapping purposes, and may be used for basic applications such as viewing, querying, and map output production, or to provide a basemap to support graphical overlays and analysis with other spatial data.
- California. Department of Transportation
- High-occupancy vehicle lanes, Roads, and Transportation
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. http://www.gnu.org/licenses.
- Copyright resides with the originator.
|Click on map to inspect values|