City Boundaries: Humboldt County, California, 2012
- von Dohlen, Jerry
- This polygon shapefile depicts the administrative boundaries and Spheres of Influence for Cities over which the County of Humboldt, California holds authority: Arcata, Blue Lake, Eureka, Ferndale, Fortuna, Rio Delland Trinidad. This coverage does not include unincorporated areas. These boundaries have been approved by the Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO) of Humboldt County. LAFCO was created in 1963 to encourage orderly formation of local government agencies, preserve agricultural land resources and discourage urban sprawl. LAFCos are responsible for coordinating logical and timely changes in local governmental boundaries, conducting special studies that review ways to reorganize, simplify, and streamline governmental structure and preparing a sphere of influence for each city and special district within each County. A Sphere of Influence (SOI)is a physical boundary inside of which a local governmental agency is expected to provide services and is generally set by LAFCO with a 20 year time frame. SOI boundaries are designated in order to help discourage urban sprawl, limit boundary disputes between local agencies and provide indications regarding future development potential. A District or City's SOI should not to be construed as "referral" areas or as bestowing authority and control within the SOI boundaries. LAFCO can amend an SOI if there are sound reasons to do so.The Humboldt County Planning and Building Department is responsible for protecting the public health, safety and welfare via building permit review and inspections consistent with California model codes as well as planning and development review and approval consistent with the county's General Plan. This Department oversees the Advance Planning Division, which is responsible for the Humboldt County's Geographic Information System (GIS) that is utilized by other County Departments; many federal, state and local agencies; and the general public. This coverage can be used for basic applications such as viewing, querying, and map output production, or to provide a basemap to support graphical overlays and analyses of geospatial data.
- Humboldt County Planning and Building Department
- Humboldt County (Calif.), Arcata (Calif.), Blue Lake (Calif.), Eureka (Calif.), Ferndale (Calif.), Fortuna (Calif.), Rio Dell (Calif.), and Trinidad (Calif.)
- Municipal government, Cities and towns, Spheres of influence, Boundaries, and Planning and Cadastral
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work is in the Public Domain, meaning that it is not subject to copyright.
|Click on map to inspect values|