Rural Lands: San Francisco Bay Area, California, 2008
- Bay Area Open Space Council, Conservation Lands Network, San Francisco Bay Area Upland Habitat Goals Project, and GreenInfo Network (Firm)
- This polygon shapefile depicts rural lands in the nine county San Francisco Bay Area Region, California. This data was derived from the California Department of Conservation Farmland Mapping and Monitoring Program (FMMP) data. This dataset was developed to get a better regional understanding of the exurban sprawl issues in regions lying just beyond the suburbs of a city. The Conservation Lands Network (CLN) Project Team felt that parcels under ten acres generally resulted in more fragmented landscapes where conservation action is more challenging and biodiversity tends to be much lower. The dataset was developed by: 1) selecting out all parcels ten acres or less for each county; 2) eraising FMMP Urban Areas and Intensive Cultivated Land; 3) converting to a grid; 4) merging with a grid of the entire region to get 1,0 for null areas; and 5) running nearest neighbor statistcs type majority filter, rectangle neighbor, settings of 5, using the 1,0 field (this helps to fill in the road network and get rid of the streets in the congested areas). This data was integrated into the CLN Vegetation map as a new category for purposes of reducing the conservation goals in these areas. This dataset was developed/compiled for use in the San Francisco Bay Area Upland Habitat Goals Project, a Project used to identify a Conservation Lands Network (CLN) for biodiversity preservation to inform conservation investments and lasting cooperative conservation partnerships. The Conservation Lands Network GIS Database is the primary output of the Project. The data depicts the spatially explicit CLN that is recommended for the nine county San Francisco Bay Area Region, California. Bay Area Open Space Council, GreenInfo Network, Conservation Lands Network, and San Francisco Bay Area Upland Habitat Goals Project. (2011). Rural Lands: San Francisco Bay Area, California, 2008. Bay Area Open Space Council. Available at http://purl.stanford.edu/wr760cs8681. This layer is presented in the WGS84 coordinate system for web display purposes. Downloadable data are provided in native coordinate system or projection.
- Bay Area Open Space Council
- The Conservation Lands Network regional biodiversity GIS database
- California, San Francisco Bay Area (Calif.), Alameda County (Calif.), Contra Costa County (Calif.), Marin County (Calif.), Napa County (Calif.), San Francisco County (Calif.), San Mateo County (Calif.), Santa Clara County (Calif.), Solano County (Calif.), and Sonoma County (Calif.)
- Ecological zones, Land use, Rural, Environment, Farming, and Boundaries
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work is in the Public Domain, meaning that it is not subject to copyright.
|Click on map to inspect values|