WHALESNORTH Northeast Mandatory Ship Reporting System, 2012-2013
- Applied Science Associates
- The Code of Federal Regulations designates a mandatory ship reporting system in the northeastern U.S. named WHALESNORTH to protect North Atlantic Right Whales. The mandatory ship reporting system includes the waters of Cape Cod Bay, Massachusetts Bay, and the Great South Channel east and southeast of Massachusetts. The following restrictions apply: Each self-propelled ship of 300 gross tons or greater must participate in the reporting system, except government ships exempted from reporting by regulation V/8-1© of SOLAS. However exempt ships are encouraged to participate in the reporting system. The mandatory ship reporting system operates year-round.To support coastal and ocean planning and other activities pursuant to the Coastal Zone Management Act, Energy Policy Act, Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Rivers and Harbors Act and the Submerged Lands Act.
- Northeast Ocean Data
- Cape Cod Bay (Mass.) and Massachusetts Bay (Mass.)
- Northern right whale, Marine ecosystem management, Oceans, Environment, and Transportation
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work is in the Public Domain, meaning that it is not subject to copyright.
|Click on map to inspect values|