Bathymetry Hillshade: Offshore of Pacifica, California, 2007
- Pacific Coastal and Marine Science Center, Seafloor Mapping Lab, and Golden, Nadine E.
- This layer is a georeferenced raster image containing acoustic-backscatter data for the offshore area of Pacifica, California. The acoustic-backscatter map of the area was generated from backscatter data collected by Fugro Pelagos and by California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB). Mapping was completed between 2005 and 2007, using a combination of 400-kHz Reson 7125 and 244-kHz Reson 8101 multibeam echosounders. These mapping missions combined to collect bathymetry from about the 10-m isobath to beyond the 3-nautical-mile limit of Californias State Waters. The map that show these data are published in Open-File Report 2014–1260, "California State Waters Map Series--Offshore of Pacifica, California." This layer is part of USGS Data Series 781.In 2007, the California Ocean Protection Council initiated the California Seafloor Mapping Program (CSMP) to create a comprehensive seafloor map of high-resolution bathymetry, marine benthic habitats and geology within the 3-nautical-mile limit of California's State Waters. CSMP has divided coastal California into 110 map blocks, each to be published individually as United States Geological Survey Open-File Reports (OFRs) or Scientific Investigations Maps (SIMs) at a scale of 1:24,000. Maps display seafloor morphology and character, identify potential marine benthic habitats and illustrate both the seafloor geology and shallow (to about 100 m) subsurface geology. Data layers for bathymetry, bathymetric contours, acoustic backscatter, seafloor character, potential benthic habitat and offshore geology were created for each map block, as well as regional-scale data layers for sediment thickness, depth to transition, transgressive contours, isopachs, predicted distributions of benthic macro-invertebrates and visual observations of benthic habitat from video cruises over the entire state. These data are intended for science researchers, students, policy makers, and the general public. This information is not intended for navigational purposes.The data can be used with geographic information systems (GIS) software to display geologic and oceanographic information.
- Geological Survey (U.S.)
- California, San Mateo County (Calif.), and Pacific Ocean
- Coasts, Digital elevation models, Remote sensing, Bathymetric maps, Geomorphology, Multibeam mapping, Submarine topography, Ocean bottom, Seismic reflection method, Imagery and Base Maps, Oceans, and Elevation
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work is in the Public Domain, meaning that it is not subject to copyright.
|Click on map to inspect values|