Flood Zones and Floodways: Humboldt County, California, 2015
- von Dohlen, Jerry
- This polygon shapefile depicts Modified Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Q3 Flood Data merged with Floodway Data. This coverage displays floodplain areas 100 (Zone=A) and 500 (Zone=B) year floods. These maps blank out federal and state owned lands so the flood hazard in (for instance) State or National Parks is not properly represented. Also depicts Floodway areas. The Q3 Flood Data are derived from the Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) published by the FEMA. The file is georeferenced to the earth's surface using the geographic projection and the decimal degree coordinate system. The specifications for the horizontal control of Q3 Flood Data files are consistent with those required for mapping at a scale of 1:24000. These data have been modified by Humboldt County to better match other base datasets. The Humboldt County Planning and Building Department is responsible for protecting the public health, safety and welfare via building permit review and inspections consistent with California model codes as well as planning and development review and approval consistent with the county's General Plan. This Department oversees the Advance Planning Division, which is responsible for the Humboldt County's Geographic Information System (GIS) that is utilized by other County Departments; many federal, state and local agencies; and the general public. This coverage can be used for basic applications such as viewing, querying, and map output production, or to provide a basemap to support graphical overlays and analyses of geospatial data. Humboldt County Planning and Building Department. (2015). Flood Zones and Floodways: Humboldt County, California, 2015. Humboldt County Planning and Building Department. Available at: http://purl.stanford.edu/zc435wh8550. FEMA Digital Q3 Flood data merged with Floodway. Shows floodplain areas for 100 (Zone=A) and 500 Zone=B) year floods as identified by Flood Insurance Rate (FIRM) maps. These maps blank out federal and state owned lands so the flood hazard in (for instance) State or National Parks is not properly represented. Also depicts Floodway areas. Updates/History/Corrections: Edited September, 2001: Redwood and Prairie Creeks have been corrected using USGS Digital Orthophoto Quarter Quads Edited March, 2002, to correct alignment problems, particularly along the coast. Alderpoint, Briceland and Blue Lake areas also edited. March 2006: Added Floodway Zones: Floodways are high velocity areas within the flood plains where generally no structures are permitted. Digitized by Eric Zoellner, Humboldt County Planing Div., from FEMA hardcopy Floodway maps. City, state and Federal jurisdictions blanked out. Primarily for planning purposes. For regulatory purposes, use hardcopy maps. Added Floodway "Yes" for attribute floodway so that it can be identified. Updated Firm_panel attribute to incorporate FEMA map panels associated with Floodway. The County of Humboldt makes no guarantee of the quality or completeness of this data. It has not been fully reviewed for accuracy and is intended to be used for planning purposes only. The department assumes no liability or responsibility in the use of this data. While every effort has been made to assure the accuracy of this information, it should be understood that it does not have the force and effect of law, rule, or regulation. In the event of any difference or error, the law will take precedence. The accuracy of map data varies from location to location in the county. While the GIS is useful for planning purposes, it should not be relied upon to determine property, zoning or general plan designation boundaries or be used in any way for project design. All GIS data should be verified before it is materially relied upon for property or project planning. In urban areas the GIS map data maybe inaccurate by as much as 50 feet in any direction. In rural areas the map data may be inaccurate by as much as 400 feet in any direction. This layer is presented in the WGS84 coordinate system for web display purposes. Downloadable data are provided in native coordinate system or projection.
- Humboldt County Planning and Building Department
- Humboldt County, California GIS Maps & Data
- Humboldt County (Calif.)
- Hazard mitigation, Flood control, Floodplains, Flood insurance, Boundaries, and Inland Waters
- Held by
- More details at
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work is in the Public Domain, meaning that it is not subject to copyright.
|Click on map to inspect values